Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Fun

We had such a fun Christmas this year. We went to my parent's house in St. Johns on Monday night and stayed through Christmas morning. The boys had fun playing with their cousins, watching Grandma's train, making candy trains, having a "slummy party", going on a wagon ride, handing out popcorn balls, and of course opening Christmas gifts.
The trip to St. Johns was quite the adventure. We didn't leave Mesa until about 9:00pm. We stopped on our way out of town to buy snow chains for the van and then set out. We, or should I say I, did really well until about 30 miles out of Globe when the snow started and the roads began getting bad. We drove about 30 miles an hour the whole way there and I experienced several panic attacks on the trip. We saw one guy slide off the road right in front of us which really did me in. I was a wreck and John was really patient with me. I was a great front seat driver who gave reminders quite often to slow down and also repeatedly questioned out loud why we were so stupid to drive in the storm. We made it safe and sound to St. Johns at about 1:30am. All I can say is...NEVER AGAIN!

Ridge and Ellie get along so well. They love playing together. She likes to boss and Ridge is used to getting bossed so they go quite well together. She loves to read him books and most of all they loved playing with these little music box figures. They would trade back and forth and shared them so well.
Ridge loved watching Grandma's Christmas train. She bought each of the grandkids a Santa hat to wear while they watched the train. I think Ridge liked it the most and wore it almost the whole time we were there. Isn't he cute?

Here are the kids lined up to watch the train. Grandma has trained them really well not to touch the train, just watch. They loved it when Grandma would put it on for them.
The boys had a great time making candy trains. This is my nephew Gage and his Christmas train. He was quite creative and even made his name out of the licorice.
Kyson made all kinds of train tracks with his train. I think he just liked the licorice. He must have had a fun time because he even smiled for me when I took his picture. He usually gets embarrassed and shy when I try to get him to pose for a picture.
Trey's train turned out really cute too. He worked really hard on his and he too obviously loved the licorice. We brought the trains home and they have had fun picking them apart to eat them.

My dad hooked up his wagon and mules on Christmas Eve to take us all for a ride. We drove around the neighborhood and the boys ran popcorn balls into some of the neighbor kids. On the way we picked up the Ashton's and they rode around with us. While riding John explained to Trey that Michelle is his cousin. Trey looked at him with a concerned face and replied, "You have a girl cousin? Yuck!" (He must have forgotten that Ellie is his girl cousin.) I guess we really need a few more girl cousins for these boys! Trey, Case, Levi and Mimi had a great time running in and out of the wagon delivering popcorn balls. Ridge loved the ride and even got to sit up front and drive with Grandpa and Dad. Kyson fell asleep on the ride, but it was kind of nice cause he sat on my lap and kept me nice and warm.

Each Christmas Eve we put on a little nativity and read the Christmas story from the Bible. Growing up the Heap cousins met at Pop and Grammy's house on Christmas Eve and the kids would dress up for the different parts. Christmas was a little different this year because we didn't all get together, but instead had our own nativity at my Mom and Dad's house. I missed having time with our Heap cousins and missed having Grammy with us. Grammy is in an assisted living home in Eager and wasn't feeling well so Christmas this year was a bit different. But we did have a good time together and enjoyed reenacting the birth of our Savior. The kids all looked so cute. Ridge was really upset when it was all over with and he had to take off his costume.
All of the grandkids and their Santa hats. This picture actually turned out really cute considering we had nine kids that needed to all hold still and look at the camera for a split second. Jodi and Jason played a fun game with the grandkids on Christmas Eve. They had a big present wrapped that the kids took turns passing around to music. When the music stopped the person holding the present got to unwrap it. Inside was a gift, candy, and coins for the one who unwrapped the present as well as another wrapped present that they began passing again. The kids LOVED it and were each so surprised and excited when the music stopped on them.
After all the events of Christmas Eve were over the kids got to open a present. It is no longer a surprise that the gift is PJs, but they are always excited to see what they got. I found perfect PJs for them that matched the things they enjoy. Trey got PJs with tractors and trucks, Kyson's had footballs, and Ridge's had a bunch of different balls. They loved their new PJs and were ready to get to bed so that Santa could come. This is the first year that Trey has really understood the whole Santa thing and so he was anxious to get to bed and wanted to be sure that Santa didn't miss them because they were still awake. They went to bed easily and when saying prayers Kyson blessed that Santa would make it down the chimney and not get burned.

Santa found us at Grandpa and Grandma Heap's house and left the boys some fun toys. Trey and Kyson got remote control cars and Ridge got a sit 'n' spin. They were really excited with their presents and have still not begun to get bored with their remote control cars. Way to go Santa!
After breakfast on Christmas morning we packed up and headed to Globe. (The roads this time were much better due to the rain that was falling while we drove.) We met there with all of John's brothers and sisters and got to talk to his brother Degen who is on a mission in Montana. The boys again got to open presents from their Perry cousins and spent a lot of time playing and showing off their new toys. I got my Christmas wish and took a little nap with Ridge. It was a fun Christmas and I even got in a couple card games before we had to head home.
Merry Christmas 2008!

5 comments:

Carter Family said...

You guys are braver than I. Of course I have never driven in snow before. Glad you guys made it there okay. Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas. I loved your e-mail that you sent out. How creative.

Michelle said...

How fun!! What great memories. I would love to go on a wagon ride that is awesome!!! Sure looks like your boys enjoyed themselves. They are so cute.

CJ said...

I think you handled the driving in the snow very well. I grew up in snow in Seattle and I have several memories of spinning around in the car.....terrifying! Sounds like you all had a great Christmas, fun and family, that's what it's all about:)

Nicole said...

Looks fun! It was weird not seeing you guys this year. Your nativity looks nice & full, ours was pretty pathetic with just Kasidee, Parker & Cael:)

Megan said...

Your boys are adorable. We have 3 boys so I can totally understand the name of your blog.